I can’t think of too many things that aren’t made better with frosting, but the question remains: If you put frosting on a muffin, is it a muffin or a cupcake? Either way, these muffins are excellent.
Mandarin Orange Muffins
2 3/4 Cup Muffin Mix
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 Cup Melted Butter
1/2 Cup Milk
1 6 oz. Can Mandarin Oranges chopped and undrained
3/4 Cup Shredded Carrot
- Combine eggs, vanilla, milk, and butter in large bowl. Mix well.
- Add muffin mix and stir with wooden spoon just until blended. Do not over mix – batter should be lumpy.
- Fold in mandarin oranges and carrot.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full and bake at 450 for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 and continue baking for 9 – 12 minutes until center is firm.
Pineapple Orange Frosting
1 Tub Cool Whip
1 Small Package Vanilla Pudding
6 oz. Mandarin Oranges with juice
1 Pint Crushed Pineapple with juice
- Combine ingredients in bowl and stir until combined.
- Let sit 5 minutes until pudding begins to set.
- Frost cooled muffins.
These muffins have an almost ‘cornbread’ consistency and would definitely not be considered sweet. The frosting makes these muffins more of a dessert than a breakfast food, but who doesn’t like having dessert for breakfast?
Hubby preferred these muffins without the frosting, while the kids gobbled them up with the frosting. Either way, these are definitely a great breakfast option, and for this I am — Simply Grateful.