For about a year I’ve been trying my hand at a bit of propagation. As it stands, I’ve got a 50/50 chance of success.
In the spring I tried propagating a lilac bush with clippings.
Unfortunately, this failed! Sorry Suzanne — we’ll have to try something else.
Last summer I propagated tons of tomato plants from suckers. This was easy and seemingly foolproof — only because I actually got it to work.
So with my track record currently even, I decided to see once and for all if I’ve got what it takes to propagate, this time with strawberries.
The strawberry plants I planted last spring began spreading after their first round of berries early this summer. Although there are other methods to propagate strawberries (splitting plants or by seed), I decided to use the runners.
First I filled some small pots with a mixture of top soil and compost/manure.
Then I carefully set the pot in the rocks or mulch and took hold of a portion of the runner where there was a node.
Finally, with a clothes pin I pushed the node beneath the surface of the dirt and covered as much of the node as possible without covering the leaves.
Now I’ll just wait and see if roots form and then I can cut them from their host plant and plant them someplace else.
I love trying to make more plants from the ones I currently have, it sure beats having to buy new plants all the time. It might not always work out, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to give up.
Our strawberries are still thriving and the second batch of berries are just beginning to come in, and for this I am — Simply Grateful.