The Best Garden Gadget For Staking Tomatoes

Several weeks ago while at a garage sale I happened upon two bags of these garden clips.

DSCF9855

At first I almost didn’t get them.  They were $1.00 per pack after all and at the time I was happy with the way I had been staking my tomato plants.  I did buy them though thinking I could use them to quickly hook cucumber vines to the A-frame if nothing else.

Well, after my fiasco with using the twist ties to stake my tomato plants (see my post  Staking Tomatoes – A Near Devastating Mistake) and then using torn up sheets, I remembered I had these this morning and decided to give them a shot. Even though I staked my tomatoes just a little over a week ago, they have already become unruly and several of them were starting to topple over from the weight of the unstaked stalks that have grown well above the strips of sheet holding the plants to the stakes.

DSCF9856

Taking just a few with me to the tomato garden I found the plant that was in need of staking most and snapped a clip on it. OH MY GOSH!  That’s all it took.  Less than 5 seconds to grab on to the stalk, hold it against the stake, and attach the clip. No fighting with the stalk while I try tieing a flimsy piece of material around it and the stake, all the while doing my best not to allow the tomato plant to touch any of my bare skin because I get terrible hives from tomato plants. Nope, just straighten, hold, and clip.

DSCF9858

What a great invention.  These are definitely a garden-gadget-must-have for me!  I found several types of these on Amazon and have ordered three packs of 20 with 2 different sizes in them. They cost $4.94 per pack with free shipping, so I guess the $1.00 per pack of 15 was a phenomenal price. I won’t hesitate to pick these up again if I run across them in a garage sale.

I’m thinking once my pepper plants take off, which I’m hoping will be any time now, I can use these clips to keep their stalks in line with the stakes too.

This plant needed two clips because the main stalk split into a V and I left both to grow. Looks like I'll be needing another stake for this plant now.

This plant needed two clips because the main stalk split into a V and I left both to grow. Looks like I’ll be needing another stake for this plant now.

Sometimes it’s just a little thing that can make life easier, and for this I am — Simply Grateful.

Advertisements

Staking Tomatoes – A Near Devastating Mistake

Several weeks ago my tomato plants finally started to take off after being transplanted from the plastic cups they’d been grown in to the garden.  They had nearly doubled in size so I decided to secure the stalks to the stakes that were set in the ground beside them when planted.

First I removed the first couple rows of leaves along the bottom of each plant. These leaves are not necessary and snipping them off would allow the plants to absorb more nutrients.  Second, all the suckers were removed.  The plants were still pretty young, but surprisingly already suckers had started growing between the branches. Finally, I took a twist tie and secured the stalk to the stake, just below the first row of leaves.

DSCF8674 DSCF8675 DSCF8677

Before we left on vacation, all the tomato plants were staked and given a good dose of fertilizer. On our return, the plants had at least doubled in size and were again in need of staking.

DSCF9508 DSCF9509

When I set to work on trimming the bottom branches and removing the suckers again, I noticed something. To my horror, the twist ties that I had used to tie the stalks of the plants to the stakes just a week ago had cut into the stalks, nearly cutting them in half.  I had twisted the ties too tight and forgotten to allow room for growth.  Every stalk had a huge cut in it where the twist tie was, threatening to sever the plant in half.

My first order of business was changed from trimming the plants to cutting lengths of material to use for staking.  I remembered my father used to cut up old bed sheets into strips and use that to tie his tomatoes when he had a garden.  I have lots of old sheets, so if it was good enough for my father, it would certainly be good enough for me.

Once the strips were cut and at least one was attached to each tomato plant I began loosening the plastic twist ties. Carefully I untwisted the ties, but didn’t try to remove them from the stalks.  I just wanted them loose enough to allow the stalks to grow. A few ties fell right off, but most of them had become part of the stalk, the plant having literally grown around the tie.

DSCF9512 DSCF9514 DSCF9515

What a mess!  This could have been such a disaster had the twist ties cut the stalks in half. Thankfully I caught my mistake before it was too late.

Gardening is definitely a learning process but I’d hate for the lessons I learn have to cost me this years harvest. Now I know better than to use plastic twist ties to stake tomatoes and won’t make that mistake again, and for this I am —Simply Grateful.